Saturday, December 6, 2014

Giving Thanks 2014


This is going to be the year guys, the year we get the holidays right. The focus is going to be on quality rather than quantity, on giving rather than receiving, on being present in the moment rather than stressed out by the rush of it all. I'd really love to work on strengthening our family traditions and create meaningful memories that are rooted in the gift of time and not in material items. So this year I'm going to try to follow the "something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read" guidelines and eliminate the cheap fluff and filler. The last few years have felt increasingly stressful and it's time to reclaim the peace and joy of the season. How do you guys eliminate holiday stress? Balance out material items from actual "gifts"? Does that even make sense?

At any rate, we spent Thanksgiving at my aunt's house which was very nice and then the next day we had our very own day of celebration here at home, which was exactly what I truly wanted. The older I get the more I find myself cuddling up tightly within our own little nest. And not in a bad way, but there are memories I want our kids to have specifically here at home. Baking pies in the whirlwind of a Thanksgiving kitchen? Yes please, it may have been a day late but it was just what I had hoped for.

Meanwhile, Ruari turned 15 years old. She is such a wonderful person to know and to love. Happy birthday sweetie, you're incredible, like take the world by storm incredible.




























































1 comment:

Emily S. said...

Well I just love your posts. We are always seeking that balance too... This year it is eluding us because we cannot get well, and it puts a cloud over EVERYHING. I'm so sad about it. But too tired to rally.