Friday, September 10, 2010

Tacos and Slow Cookers

Oh geez, someone's been neglecting her blog again. That's OK though, because it only means that I've been busy paying tons of attention to all the other stuff, the important stuff. We've been caught up in a whirlwind of back to school stuff. We all seem to be settling in rather nicely. Although, this school year has me greeting the day a bit earlier than I'm used to and I don't know that I'll be able to maintain a 6am wake up call indefinitely, let's just take it a day at at a time shall we?

The nice thing about getting up so early is that I get a lot done right away, which makes the rest of the day seem so peaceful, so easy. This week I dusted off our slow cooker and had dinner simmering away by early afternoon. I can't describe how wonderful this made our evenings. I think I've mentioned it before, but Brendan is the chef around these parts and enjoys cooking us delicious homemade meals as often as possible. We're really lucky for this, I know we are, but the problem with home cooking is that it's fairly time consuming. Meaning of course that as soon as he walks in the door from a long day at work he pretty much has to get started on dinner right away. He's tired, I'm tired, the babies want to see their dada, the older kids need help with their homework, someone has soccer practice, someone needs a ride somewhere, someone needs to be picked up from somewhere else, etc....you see where this is going. Our lives seem to be more and more hectic as time passes, and dinner time is usually the most hectic point of the day. Yeah. So slow cooker it is. At least once (maybe twice) a week. So far I've made a chicken taco soup and some meaty spaghetti sauce. Brendan isn't thrilled about it, but has been willing to compromise so long as I promise to avoid all 'cream of anything' soups in the process.

Indian Summer held their annual Education Day this morning and so I hauled out the triple stroller and met Micah's class there. Unfortunately, I was so busy wrestling three littles and keeping an eye on the stinker that I neglected my camera duties. Oh well, it's always a balancing act and if the Canon takes a back burner, so be it. I can live with that. Happy weekend all. We've got soccer games and fry bread to look forward to, oh and the fresh pan of cookie bars I just pulled from the oven.







No comments: