Sunday, March 6, 2011

More To Love

We had a fairly routine weekend around here. Normal and predictable. Boring even. With schedules to juggle and chores to complete and night time babies to hush. Bellies to fill, hair to wash, teeth to brush, clothes to change, books to read, reminders to give, naps to take, imaginations to feed and time to share. All while taking phone calls, sorting mail, buying groceries, paying bills and making yet another to do list. Yes, just another boring weekend around here.







I am of the opinion that boring can be very satisfying if you just give it a chance.







Because this is it, this is the life we have carved out for ourselves. All these moments will combine to build the lifetime of memories that I will look back on and ache for thirty years from now when I finally have the little bit of stillness I so desperately think I want at times. These are the moments we are building our future with even if they occasionally feel worn and predictable.



Experience has shown me that there is comfort in predictability.









There is something to be said for the structure of your routine. Beauty is waiting for you in the rituals you hold dear.





Even if it's just something as simple as chocolate chip pancakes and bacon for breakfast.



Normal and ordinary can feed your soul if you allow them to, and after a low key weekend I am once again reminded that my ordinary is really quite extraordinary. Sometimes the pressure of daily life can be a bit overwhelming, but it's important to remember just how lucky we are. I am amazed that this is my life. Amazed and grateful.



Here are the photos that got properly edited and then mishandled during a transfer and then edited again post edit and ultimately destroyed in the process. Oh well, maybe I'll take a class or something, but in the meantime the tutu that Sydney gave Saoirse is simply too cute not to make the cut.











And who could forget the fish hat she brought Nuala for her birthday? I swear Sydney always delivers the best accessories ever.





But I am at my most comfortable with natural light.







I love watching these kids look for little treasures during the day.



Even if it's just a lens cap and a Charlie Brown.



Even if it's just searching through the same old toy basket with the hope of finding something new. Searching through all that is predictable and dusty and piecing it back together in a way that is new and refreshing.







Like snacking on a yummy croissant that you forgot was waiting for you.



Or finding an itty bitty pancake flipper and then carrying it around with you all day long as if it is the coolest thing you've ever seen in your whole life.



A wise man once reminded me that there is in fact beauty in everything, he sure wasn't joking around either. I was a bit skeptical at the time, but I am so glad that he was right.





As for the camera shy teenagers? I've been much more adamant about getting all paparazzi on them lately.



And what's more beautiful than that?













Yes, our weekend was normal and ordinary and just about as plain jane as they come, and I wouldn't want it any other way. There really is more to love if you just look in the right places.



1 comment:

Coleen Ruffing said...

"...when I finally have the little bit of stillness I so desperately think I want at times." I've reflected on this thought myself many many many times. :)