Friday, October 5, 2012

One Week Old

Or at least he was one week old....2 days ago!

I cannot believe how fast time is moving right now.
And I want to remember this and write all about it and look back years from now and still be able to feel it, because we always tell ourselves that we will remember but then as time passes we start to forget. I don't want to forget.

These early days when time sort of shifts into something unrecognizable and the nights blend together as you adjust to having a newborn in the house once again. One last time.


*thank you Neil for editing this photo for me, it's just lovely!*

I want to freeze time for just a moment and soak it all in, and not be so sleep deprived that I forget the way his skin feels against mine, the soft noises he makes in his sleep, the shape of his mouth as it curls into a smile (which I know is not really a smile, but gosh it sure looks like one) after he nurses, the sound of his breath and how he likes to press his face into the crook of my neck.



He's already having more and more wakeful moments, when he is calm and alert, reminding me just how fast and fleeting this newborn stage will be. And the sleepy part of me cheers while the rest of me quietly pleads with time to perhaps slow down just a tad so that I can hardwire these moments to my memory.

Or at least find the time and energy to write about them.



No comments: