Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Right Smack Dab

You know that something is wrong when this one falls asleep right smack dab in the middle of our evening dinner rush.



Right smack dab in the middle of the living room where others are still playing and reading and carrying on.



Nuala is still a bit under the weather this afternoon and was practically in hysterics after we dropped Oscar off at school and she realized that she was not going with him today. Luckily we have perfect snuggling weather and as soon as Saoirse goes down for her nap, Nuala and I have a mother daughter date that involves blankets and pillows and maybe even a nuzzle or two. I went to the full moon ceremony at Micah's school today (his class was presenting) and while I didn't really feel comfortable taking pictures during the actual performance I did snap this absolutely fascinating view of the ceiling. I'm not usually too self-conscious about taking pictures, but for some reason I was imagining my shutter being about 10 times louder than it really is and I just decided that it wasn't the right time, plus to be quite honest I was simply enjoying the moment. It's a delicate balance and while I liked being fully present in that moment, I know that I'll look back and wish I had a few pictures of it. Darn loud shutter.



So then on the way out I tried to compensate by taking a few snow covered shots. Hey Micah, remember that time your class performed that great play about Possums Tail? Well, I didn't get any pictures of it, but boy oh boy the parking lot sure looked great after the snowfall.

Yep, I've got some learning to do still.



But I'm not too worried. If I can teach myself to knit I can surely teach myself when and when not to snap a few, right? Winter is just the perfect time for knitting. All summer long I failed to finish a single project, but now that there is snow on the ground I can't knit fast enough to keep up with all the beautiful patterns I want to get started on. January has been the month of the legwarmer. I can't stop making these silly things.



Last night I completed a new hat for Nuala. It's a tad big, but a little crochet around the brim should tighten in right up.





Despite feeling a but crummy, she was in great spirits this morning while her and Oscar played a "hugging" game off and on for the better part of an hour. It went something like this:
Oscar: Hey Nuala, let's hug. Hug me Nuala.
Nuala: Ok (giggling).
Oscar: No, like this, like this Nuala (more giggling).
At which point they were hugging and giggling hysterically while Saoirse and I watched with raised brows, rolling our eyes at each other while pretending to fully understand whatever it was that was soooo funny. Twins.



Saoirse found a pacifier today. I'm not even sure where or how but by the time I was able to pry it from her clenched jaws she was pretty much devastated about the whole thing (darn it all, I thought I got rid of every last one of those things!). She definitely sulked about it for a decent amount of time, as if to say, "how could you just go ahead and break my heart all over again lady? Huh? How could you do that to sweet little me?".





I didn't have any good answers to that question, but I did finally distract her with a "Hey, let's all lay on the rug and make silly faces for the camera and act like it's the most incredible thing that's ever happened to us because who needs a stinky old pacifier anyways?" photo shoot. She seemed to fall for it too.











So there it is, our half lazy, half cruddy feeling, half broken hearted going back to Nuk rehab morning of sorts. And that's one half too many but what can I say? We have a big family.

No comments: