Sunday, March 1, 2009

Knee High


What on Earth could have ever possessed me to buy 20 pairs of knee high socks over the weekend? Why this little guy of course....


When Maija came home sick from school on Friday this little monkey did just the trick in cheering her up and helping her feel better. Good thing too, since we all know that I am the worst, and I mean the WORST, at caring for sick kids but that's a whole other story. Seriously when she called I told her to "suck it up and stick it out" but was then reminded of the previous time I refused to get her and how my lack of sympathy elicited snarky phone calls from both the school secretary and the school nurse.....needless to say Maija was thrilled to have the monkey looking after her.

Let's back it up a bit shall we?
I have been seeing these adorable sock monkeys all over the place the past year or so, but never felt the need or motivation to set out on a monkey crusade of my own until just this past Friday. I googled some directions, grabbed a pair of old socks from my dresser and got to work crafting a critter of my own. Since it was my first time out I made a bunch of mistakes and sloppy stitches, but each appendage saw improvement and the final product was indeed adorable, lumps and all. Maija was so taken with him (remind me to check with her on a name) that she carried him around pretty much all afternoon Friday and then spirited him away on a Saturday night sleepover, an honor usually reserved for stuffed cats only.

And since that cute little monkey nursed my baby back to health by Friday evening (quick recovery rate huh? And she wonders why I don't want to pick her up from school!) she was ready and more than willing to help me start stuffing legs and tails for some more monkey business.....




So now we have a handful of monkeys laying around the house in various stages of development along with another load of socks (who could ever resist the St. Patty's Day patterns at Kohls?) and bags and bags of newly purchased stuffing. We are quite literally knee high in yet another cute, if not entirely useless, craft project of mine......



I better go give those poor monkeys some eyes.....

1 comment:

bandalyons said...

These things are adorable! i wish I was so creative! Stella would love those!