Monday, December 29, 2008

The nature of things

Last night when we were getting the babies ready for bed, Oscar had no problem playing the part of the happy go lucky lighthearted comedian.



Nuala on the other hand seemed to have the weight of the world on her shoulders. Or maybe she was simply challenging me to a staring contest?



When you have 2 people, who are the exact same age, developing and growing right before your eyes, it is nearly impossible not to notice the differences between them. I have heard from many twin moms who warn against this, the dreaded trap of comparison, and I understand their reasoning, but I also realize that the differences ARE what make Nuala and Oscar such special and unique individuals. The tricky part is being able to find a way to honor both their similarities and differences without turning it into a competition or placing higher values on certain attributes. I also want to steer clear of any long term 'typecasting', as I don't think that would be fair to either one of them, and they have shown us from a very early age that they are quite adept at hat swapping, and both can be mild or ferocious depending on the weather.  

I find that having twins is really quite fascinating and I feel honored to have been given an opportunity to experience them.
Frazzled and exhausted, but honored all the same!

No comments: