Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sylvi

Last winter I offered to help a friend out with a little knitting project. She really really REALLY wanted to make a Sylvi but was a bit intimidated. "Oh, why don't we just do it together? I'll make one with you" I blurted out enthusiastically.

There was only one problem, the Sylvi is a full blown trench jacket that is worked with a chart and I am a full blown beginner who has never used a chart to save her life! What do they mean "Purl the knits on the wrong side"????

Nevertheless, we ordered a yarn swatch, spent weeks selecting our colors and finally cast on last spring. I learned how to read the chart and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, it's a really fun project once you can look past all the seed stitch. I worked on it for a few weeks, grabbing a few minutes here and there to finish a row. And then summer came and I set down the needles and I never picked them back up. It was a nice long vacation.

I pulled Sylvi down from the shelf yesterday and wondered if I'd even be able to follow the chart again. Turns out it's sort of like riding a bike.









So there you have it, the first 31 rows of the back panel. At this rate I'll be done by fall of 2013.

No comments: