Thursday, February 12, 2009

Our Lights Are On


Last night was the winter open house at our elementary school. I think I have now been to about 15 open houses there! The kids love showing off their work and haunting the hallways during the  evening "after-school hours", which I can certainly relate to seeing as how I can still remember some of my own childhood open houses. The trick to having a successful open house experience is making sure you get there early enough to sign up for spring parent teacher conferences before all the best time slots are filled by other families. This is especially important for us since we have four children to conference over. We spent the first 15 minutes or so rushing back and forth between 4 classrooms trying to align all 4 conferences back to back. Once the scheduling frenzy was out of the way we were able to relax and enjoy the show......





The Arts curriculum is impressive to say the least and has always been one of the main reasons we send our children to this school. Check out the display outside of Micah's classroom. They finished a unit on community and how to make the world a better place. I read a lot of the other students responses to how they are going to tackle problems and have a positive impact on society, pick up garbage, feed the poor, donate to charity, you know good stuff like that.


And then I got to Micah's......What can I say? The boys got ambitions!


Next up was Ruari's classroom. She recently had this black and white drawing up on display at Children's Hospital a very proud honor indeed.




And of course we cannot forget the fifth grade hallway where Sidhe and Maija reside, although most of their bulletin boards were filled with written reports and other academic achievements.



All in all it was a lot of fun, even though we have been with the school now for over 7 years, it is still amazing to see what the creative minds of these extraordinary children will come up with. For those who don't know, Brendan and I actually met here. Maija and Sidhe were in the same Kindergarten classrooms and naturally our paths crossed in the hallways. Just another reason why this school is such a special place!

And since we're speaking Art language, check out the new hat pattern I just tried, ear flaps and all. I am beginning to understand the language of the yarn a little bit better now, but am not ready to tackle anything too complicated quite yet, which is fine since the older kids all seem to want hand knit hats to call their own. That should keep me busy for a while! However, I am ready to upgrade to a higher quality yarn, any suggestions?




Not CRAZY about this shot, but it's the only one I have at the moment of her actually wearing the hat.

In other news, and as you can already see, I have ditched the fancy schmancy blog backgrounds that I had been toying around with. They were a little bit too much, even for this family! I have now started obsessing over Photobucket Scrapbooking which adds a splash of color in easier to swallow doses. What are you working on or playing with?


No comments: