Monday, January 19, 2009

24

Twenty four.
That's the number of ultra sounds that I had when I was pregnant with the twins. Near the end of the pregnancy I was being scanned anywhere from 2-4 times a week. I learned ultrasound lingo and became very skilled at reading the screen. I memorized how to measure the amniotic fluid and could read jargon such as BPP and NST and AFI. I became first name friendly with the technicians and gossiped about work place politics, marital woes (umm, theirs not mine) and the economy. 
Towards the end, I actually began to dread having ultrasounds. I was fed up with normal levels and great cord flow and strong healthy "practice" breathing. I had had enough of the chit chat, and was tired of repeating the process all over again week after week. 
I was over it. Which in hindsight seems terribly selfish and ungrateful, and I'm even embarrassed to admit all of this, but just wait until you are 38 weeks pregnant with 15+ pounds of baby inside of you. Clearly I wasn't thinking very rationally by that point. You can only collect so many black and white snap shots. You can only make googgly eyes at a television screen for so long. I began to ache for the day when I could leave MFM behind me, never to return.

Well guess what? 
Guess who has a 1pm appointment at Maternal Fetal Medicine tomorrow? Guess who is going to see her baby for the first time and probably cry a little bit in the process? Guess who has been counting down the days and waiting impatiently, willing time to move just a snails pace faster? And guess who is going to stare for hours and hours at those little black and white photos?
You got it, and I couldn't be more excited!

Tomorrow is going to be a truly wonderful day for all of us. I hope you can enjoy it as much as we will. I plan to watch as much of the inauguration as I possibly can before catching a glimpse of Junebug and then I will dance in celebration at Nia class. 
Tomorrow is going to be full of so much joy and promise and hope I can barely contain myself! I better go get some sleep so that we're ready for the big day.

No comments: