Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bedside Manner

Well since things have been rather heavy around here, it's time for some frivolous fun.
I saw this on another blog and couldn't resist.

What am I reading right now? Better yet, what is the state of my nightstand? Funny thing, we don't actually have a nightstand, our bed is built right into the wall underneath the second floor staircase. This can be slightly irritating since I can hear every little creak and moan of the wooden floors above my head, especially when I am sleeping. I can hear the cat traveling back and forth in the early morning hours when the rest of the house is quiet and still. The only saving grace in all of this is that I will have a close ear on all of my teenagers as they reach the 'sneaking out' stage of adolescence. Our house is old enough to make all the right sounds in all the right places, they'll need a couple of knotted sheets to get past me and the staircase security.

Another advantage of having a built in bed, means having a built in nightstand, or in our case bookshelf....

Some points of curiousity:
*3 Big Gulp sized cups, how many do I really need?
*3 rolls of Scotch tape, when have I EVER used this stuff in bed?
*2 Social Security cards, obviously a very safe spot.
*2 flashlights, ummm just in case?
*12 half read magazines.
*My beloved laptop.
*1 very lonely and very neglected journal.
*2 dusty baby books, when was the last time I wrote in those?
*1 baby monitor that we haven't used in months.
*3 chapsticks, since I may run out in the middle of the night. I am constantly applying the stuff and yet my lips are still chapped, which leads us back to the Big Gulps.


*Wood burnings, Nuala designed the little one with help from Dada of course.
*Prenatal vitamins I am terrible at taking.
*Cigar box filled with love letters and special trinkets from those early days of infatuation.
*A Transformer
*Baby books
*Select pieces of Micah's Art.
*A Mario Mushroom (my personal favorite of the whole shoot n' match)






*Ok, you busted me, those ARE People magazines, a guilty pleasure I must admit.
*Ojibwe book I am still getting around to starting.
*Louise Erdrich, if you don't know....find out. She is amazing.


So there you have it, and as promised this one was nice and fluffy. Take a minute or two to think about it, laugh about it, even roll your eyes about it (which is exactly what Brendan did when he walked in and found me taking pictures of our bookshelf ).
The questions remain.......
What are you reading right now?
What's on your nightstand?

No comments: